CSS-JS-Booster is a PHP-script that tries to automate as many performance
optimizing steps related to CSS and JS embedding as possible.
For CSS these steps are:
- combine multiple CSS-files resulting in number of HTTP-requests going down
- minify CSS
- Embed any CSS-images smaller 24KB as data-URI or MHTML (for IE <= 7)
- Split the output back into 2 even files that can load in parallel (not for WP)
- GZIP-compress the resulting CSS
- Have browsers cache the result as long as it remains unchanged
- If IE6: Issue a JS-command to fix background image caching behaviour
For JS these steps are:
- combine multiple JS-files resulting in number of HTTP-requests going down
- Minify the JS through the Google Closure Compiler Webservice, or JSMin as fallback (not for WP)
- GZIP-compress the resulting JS
- Have browsers cache the result as long as it remains unchanged + GZIP-compresses the page calling those files.
Depending on the amount of CSS, CSS-images and JS, this can significantly
increase loading speed of your site.